MEDIA WORLD (Reuters) – The Saudi-backed military coalition fighting a Saudi-Iranian proxy war in the impoverished Arabian peninsula has targeted hospitals, medical facilities and water treatment facilities in Yemen’s capital Sanaa, killing at least 10 people and wounding more than 60 others, activists and medics said.
The coalition, which has been in power since March, is fighting Houthi rebels, led by President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, in an attempt to push them out of Yemen’s third-largest city.
A Saudi-Egyptian coalition has been battling the Houthis since March.
Yemen’s health ministry said Friday the coalition had struck eight hospitals in the capital Sanaah, killing nine people and injuring 40 others.
The ministry did not immediately provide details on the casualties, which include at least nine civilians and one medical worker.
On Friday, medics and activists said more than 1,000 people had been wounded, with some of them critically ill.
The Saudi-dominated coalition has killed thousands of civilians, most of them civilians.
A Saudi-made Al-Qa’ida-linked militia claimed responsibility for Friday’s bombing in a statement on its Twitter feed.
Al-Qahtani has denied responsibility and said it was not behind the attacks.
“The Al-Qaida affiliated Al-Shabaab group, which was in control of the hospitals and facilities in Sanaa at the time, was unable to take them from the Houthi forces,” the group said in a tweet.
“It was the Yemeni forces who did this.”
Youth groups and human rights groups have also blamed the Houthites for the attacks on the country’s health system.
Saudi Arabia says it is fighting a campaign against Iran-backed Shi’ite Muslim Houthi fighters who seized the capital in 2014.
Since its formation in 2014, the Saudi-based coalition has sent more than $4 billion to Yemen to help pay for its military operations, including the purchase of military aircraft and helicopters.
The United States has provided about $1.7 billion in humanitarian aid and other assistance.
In June, the coalition announced a ceasefire and called off air strikes against Houthi targets in Sanaah.
Some 1.7 million people have been displaced by the war in South Yemen, a country of about 15 million people, according to UN figures.
The Saudi government has declared the war a “regional war”.
The war in south Yemen, which began in 2015, has killed more than 11,000 civilians, according a Reuters tally.
An Al-Qaeda affiliate in Yemen has claimed responsibility, saying it is behind a number of recent attacks, including one in the southwestern city of Marib.